Emergencies & Phone Calls
If you are experiencing a genuine, life-threatening emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
Our nurses return calls throughout the day as time permits. If the matter is urgent, please tell our receptionist so that the nurse can speak with you in the timeliest manner possible.
Please understand that calls for prescription refills will be returned after urgent patient needs are met. In some cases, it may be late in the afternoon, after all patients are seen, or the following day before non-emergency phone calls are returned.
Call Anytime (Day or Night) if You Are Experiencing:
- Fever 101 F. degrees or greater.
- Uncontrollable nausea or diarrhea.
- Pain medication is not working.
- Chest pains or shortness of breath.
- Severe shaking or chills.
- Active bleeding from the nose or gums.
- Blood in the urine.
- Black, tarry bowel movement.
- Severe diarrhea. Constipation with intense abdominal cramping.
We encourage you to provide the name, address, and phone number of your pharmacy so we may fill your prescriptions electronically. According to federal law, we cannot fill controlled substances (pain medications) over the telephone. Please carefully monitor your need for pain medicine refills. Allow us at least one week to obtain a written prescription to be picked up from the office.
Suggested items to bring during your treatments:
- Reading Material
Merrillville Office (219) 736-2800
9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday
Munster Office (219) 836-2000
8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday
8:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. Friday
You may reach our answering service after hours or on weekends at 736-2800 or 836-2000
Call During Regular Office Hours:
- If you have questions about your medication, cancer treatment, or side effects.
- If you’re having nutrition problems.
- If you need a prescription refilled.
- For lab tests or scans, please know that results usually take:
Scans: 48 – 72 hours
Tumor markers: 72 hours
Bone marrow: 7 – 10 days
Pathology Reports: 3 – 5 days
As a general rule we do not give out test or scan results over the phone, your physician will give you results at the time of your next scheduled visit.
Please don’t hesitate to call us for any problems you feel are important. If a certain medication is not working, call and let us know. Chances are, we can prescribe or suggest something to make you more comfortable.
For the health and safety of our patients, no pets are allowed.